“I see,” she hummed.
She did not, in fact, see. Ev shifted her weight, taking a moment to sort through everything Journey had just handed them. Another world entirely, hm? There were enough questions buried in that alone to keep them standing beside this river until nightfall, but one particular detail had caught somewhere in her thoughts before Journey had even gotten to the unbelievable part.
“Before we get into the matter of being dragged between worlds,” she began, her tone pretty calm for someone who’d just been informed that everything she knew might be impossibly far away, “should you really be giving away this much information about your clanmates?”
Her head tipped slightly in Journey’s direction. She’d given them Northfall’s location readily enough, her own position within it, and now the name and background of another member. Perhaps things were done differently here? Ev had spent enough of her life around groups, alliances, and enemies to find the ease of it mildly alarming.
“We could be spies, for all you know.” There was no accusation behind the words. If anything, Evergreen sounded a little bit concerned on Northfall’s behalf. Her ears flicked toward Vehemens before settling back toward Journey. “He could be gathering information, I could have followed you from your border. You’ve known us for all of five minutes.”
She paused for a moment to let that land. “I didn’t,” she added, because that clarification was necessary. “But you don’t know that.”
Ev let the point sit there for a moment before giving a quiet huff and returning to the larger problem at hand. “Now. You’re telling me that I didn’t simply wander farther than I intended.” Which would have been impressive enough, considering she was blind, but apparently even Evergreen wasn’t capable of accidentally walking into another universe. “Something brought me here.”
Her brow furrowed. There was one obvious question, and she suspected she wasn’t going to enjoy the answer. “Can it send me back?”
